Monday, March 1, 2010

Lovely Cakes: Happy Birthday Grandma


Months after taking a cake decorating class, I finally decided to make a cake. Our family planned a surprise birthday party for my grandma because we're not sure how many more she will have due to her health issue. So, I thought it would be nice to make a cake especially for her. So here it is. A yellow cake with buttercream frosting. I use the cake mix from the box, but alter it a little so it's lite. The cake becomes fluffy and yummy. =)

Cake Recipe
1 box mix (not the butter recipe)
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup water
Bake as directed

Buttercream Frosting Recipe
1/2 cup unflavored solid Crisco
1/2 cup (1 stick) solid margarine
1 t clear vanilla
1 t clear butter flavoring
1 lb box powdered sugar
1 T Meringue powder

Cream ingredients together on low until they stick together. Then grandually increase to high for about 5 minutes. This makes STIFF icing. For medium or thin frosting add 1-2 T water.

The stiff frosting is good for making roses and decorations. It's best to make a thin frosting to frost the cake. Ya I know, the frosting is soo unhealthy....

This was the best cake I ever made because my grandma looked at the cake, looked at me, and then said "I love you!" I had to hold back my tears because she never says that out loud. I know she always worries about me and loves me a lot, but this cake made her express her feelings out loud. I love you too Grandma!!!

3 comments:

  1. so sweet J! the roses are really nice, very professional!

    so you can make box cake with no oil and one less egg? i gotta try that... has anyone ever tried substituting with apple sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks professional! I like the colors and yes, the flowers are so cute! sounds like the cost of making the cake was priceless. =)

    i've used applesauce before, i like it cause the cake comes out more moist and i think it seems more dense too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute J! i'm glad your grandma liked the cake!

    ReplyDelete